Ritz-Carlton reopens after 3-month Saudi purge, arrests

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — The Ritz-Carlton in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, is reopening to the public, three months after it was transformed into a luxurious detention center holding dozens of princes, businessmen and officials swept up in an anti-corruption purge.

The hotel was accepting reservations on Sunday, with prices starting at $665 a night.

Billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, a major investor in Western firms, was among those held at the hotel for more than 80 days until his release last month.

The iconic hotel is also where President Donald Trump stayed during his May visit to the kingdom.

The government says the campaign, which began in early November and was led by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, netted more than $100 billion in financial settlements in exchange for most of the detainees' release.

People also read these

New boy muppet in Afghanistan promotes gender...

Jul 15, 2017

A new muppet is joining the cast of Afghanistan's version of "Sesame Street: Zeerak, who will show...

Officials: Afghan children smuggled to Pakistan...

Jul 31, 2017

Afghan officials: Children illegally being taken to religious seminaries in Pakistan to be taught...

At least 20 people killed in mosque attack in...

Aug 25, 2017

Officials say an attack on a mosque in the Afghan capital of Kabul has killed at least 20 people...

Civilians hurt by US airstrike responding to...

Sep 27, 2017

The Taliban unleashed a barrage of rockets at the Kabul international airport that the insurgents...

Hospital official says 5 killed in Afghan suicide...

Sep 29, 2017

Hospital official says at least five people killed and 20 wounded in a suicide bombing outside a...

About Us

Get all the up-to-date breaking news about politics, business, entertainment, sports, lifestyles, weather, traffic, and local news in a seamless digital environment only in Morning Dispatcher.

Contact us: sales[at]morningdispatcher.com

Subscribe Now!

Quick Links

HomePress